The EGR cooler has been leaking exhaust gas, and causing the turbo to whistle louder. The water had also been bypassed around the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler has now been replaced and the water reconnected. The EGR valve was also found to be loose and a vacuum hose had come off. Both these have been rectified. The car now runs much better, has more power and no whistle. The engine light is also off.
It was time to replace the tyres. I decided to uograde from 235/75 15 to 245/70 16 as they are slightly taller and more easily obtainable around the country. This required changing the rims, and I went for Black Trak2 rims from ROH in 16x7.\ The tyres are Hancook ATM RF10. The first time I have used Hancook.
We needed some more storage, so have added a Rhino roof basket. It is a small one as it is a good fit and allows us to keep the shovel and high-lift jack mounts. The basket will be used to carry the solar panels, so they don’t have to be removed from the top of the camper each night when travelling.
I have added an iPod input to the car stereo. This consisted of purchasing the appropriate cable and mounting a socket on the fascia. I also added some power sockets to the top of the dash to provide power to the GPS and phone etc.
The BT-50 was overheating when owing. The radiator was found to be blocked, and replaced. While this improved the overheating issue, it wasn't solved. The thermostat and fan clutch were replaced, the water pump was checked and found to be OK. The radiator was not getting hot, so it appeared the water was not flowing around the cooling system. After a year of overheating problems when towing, the head gasket was found to be leaking between cylinders in 2 places (1-2 and 3-4). The cylinder head was repaired and the head gasket replaced, and no more overheating problems.